Monday, January 23, 2012

The start of a ministry

"After John had been arrested, Jesus came to Galilee proclaiming the gospel of God:
'This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.' " - Mark 1:14-15

This is the last we hear about John, until Jesus gets word of his execution. And what an end to someone who played such an important role in preparing the way - his disciples leave him to go follow Jesus, he's thrown into jail, and at the request of a teenage girl, he's beheaded.

If I were John, I might feel a little betrayed - I did everything God asked me to do (including living in the desert and eating bugs!!) - and yet, I meet with an end that shows little respect to the role I played in the coming of the Messiah. But, thanks to God, John is well aware of what waits him - and the world - and I'm sure he took comfort in that knowledge as he awaited his end.

While our tragedies in life may not be on the same level as John's, it's important for us to remember that what waits for us there is far beyond anything that we're leaving here. And if we truly believe that, then we can understand what motivated John, how his example can affect our lives, and help strengthen our faith in the darkest of times.



No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?



No comments:

Post a Comment