Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Motivation

"This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd." - John 10:13-16

Have you ever thought about what motivates you? Not in a flashy motivational-speaker sort of way, but in a deeply personal way? What motivates you to get up in the morning? To carry on with your day? To do your best (...well, some days)?

To openly admit, and embrace your Christianity?

And what stops you? What derails your day? What keeps you from meeting your goals?

What keeps you from being open about what you believe?

For me, it's that possibility of being uncomfortable - of saying the wrong thing, or wondering if people are assuming things about me because of what I believe. It's the unknown - and that in of itself can be scary.

Jesus didn't have to worry about that. He was well aware of what lay in store for him - his purpose, his goal, and, ultimately, his end. And uncomfortable or not, he knew he only had a short amount of time to get it all done. But knowing all of that, it must have taken a lot to get motivated. After all, how do you get pumped about knowing how you're going to die? And worse, how terrible a death it will be?

But Jesus reminds us that his ultimate motivation isn't money, or fame, or the human glories of success. Rather, he reminds us that his motivation is wrapped up in his purpose - and seems to come to terms with that - to meet his Father's goals, he must fulfill his purpose. And to fulfill his purpose would mean the end of death for us all.

Now that's motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment