Monday, May 7, 2012

Together

"Jesus said to his disciples: 'I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.' " - John 15:1-3

I've been married for over 8 years. And throughout it all, I've found this journey to be easier, exciting and more fun than going at it alone. I've come to think of myself not as a single person, but as a partner, walking day to day in life with someone who wants the same basic things I do - someone to love, someone to share, and someone to hold on to. And I consider myself both lucky and blessed to have found that person, to know I'll always have someone that will listen to me (even if she disagrees), support me, and encourage me... and to know I get to reciprocate in kind.

Jesus is giving an example of a similar, yet much deeper, kind of love. One that only requires us to believe in him, to fully realize the benefits of that love. It's a love that fulfills and supports us, giving us the comfort in knowing we're never alone - and will never be left behind. It's something that, even in our darkest of days, we know will always be there. It's a love that requires constant nurturing on both of our parts, and a commitment that it will always be provided. All we need to do is be with Him - in prayer, in song, in helping others - and we'll never lose sight of that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment