Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Drop everything!

"As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Then they abandoned their nets and followed him. " - Mark 1:16-17

I wish I could do this - especially with my kids. Ask them to do something and they drop everything to do it. But that's exactly what happened with Simon (soon Peter) and Andrew. Like most mornings, they got up and went to work - but on this day, something far from ordinary happens. The Son of God calls out to them to follow him. And they do - regardless of their other responsibilities that day, they drop everything and follow Jesus.

But the disciples are only human - and like humans, they always have doubts. In one case, Peter starts walking on water like Jesus, only to start sinking when his faith begins to waver. It's a good reminder for me that my faith - like the disciples - will ebb and flow, but that Jesus will always stay constant - no matter how strong (or weak) my faith is.

No comments:

Post a Comment