Monday, January 9, 2012

Enter King Herod

"When King Herod heard this,he was greatly troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.Assembling all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, He inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.They said to him:
'In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet:
And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah,

are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;

since from you shall come a ruler,

who is to shepherd my people Israel.'" -
Matthew 2:3-6


Herod's scared. Not only has a new King been born in his realm, he found out about it from three foreigners passing through his land. I can only imagine the fury Herod must have had. A new King? A new threat to his throne? And worst of all, it was prophesied centuries ago!

In some ways, I can understand Herod - if I hear about something second- or third-hand, I feel a bit slighted, and sometimes overreact. But thankfully the Good News that is Jesus' coming is something I can experience on my own, every day. I don't need to find out from someone else...


...it was written on my heart the day I belonged to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment