Friday, January 27, 2012

Four

"He walked along a little farther and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They too were in a boat mending their nets. Then he called them. So they left their father Zebedee in the boat along with the hired men and followed him. " - Mark 1:19-20

I wonder how much trouble James and John got in with their Dad,
Zebedee. It's a regular day for them, fixing their nets before heading back out. Jesus, now accompanied by Simon Peter and Andrew, walk by. Something about them caught Jesus's eye, and he asked for them to come with. Like Simon Peter and Andrew, they drop everything and go with him.

That leaves
Zebedee, along with some of the hired help (i.e. the guys he had to pay) to finish the job. I know if I was working on something with my sons, and some guy walks by and asks them to join them, I'd be pretty upset. But I get the feeling that Zebedee isn't as upset as he would have been if it hadn't been Jesus. After all, his wife Salome shows up at the Crucifixion a few years later, to weep at Mary's side.

Perhaps
Zebedee wasn't upset, but rather overjoyed about Jesus calling his sons - I'm sure he knew Jesus was special... but just how special was yet to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment